Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lesson Learned

So we had quite a scare a couple of weeks ago... This post could end up being super long but it's for my own sake.
I have been training for a few races coming up this summer and have been forcing myself into being a regular at the gym due to the freezing cold weather outside, on this day in particular Eric and I had both come home from work at the same time and had planned to go work out. We figured that if we hurried and went really fast as soon as we got home, we could still be able to eat dinner at a decent time. So off we went to 24 hour fitness where I headed to the treadmills as usual and Eric started to do his thing. We worked out for about an hour then left but we needed a few things from the grocery store for our dinner so we made a quick stop at Smith's to grab them. After walking around the store for about 15 minutes, we head to the check out isle when Eric turns to me and says he's light headed.... next thing I know, he's passed out on the floor!!!! His face was white as a ghost and his eyes were rolling back in his head. As I try not to panic, I hear people screaming call 911! Not helpful for a wife trying not to panic with an unconscious husband. But after about 15 seconds (which felt like forever) I was finally able to get him to wake up, told him to stay sitting down for a minute before he got up, then he eventually stood up. Keep in mind that we now have everyone's attention in the entire store. He stood up for about 3 seconds before he collapsed again!!! He looked like he was dead. seriously, He had zero color in his face, his eyes were rolling back in his head his body was completely limp. Luckily there was a guy that caught him this time so he didn't hurt himself again by the fall. Meanwhile, the paramedics were on their way and it was all I could do not to break down. We got him into a chair and I grabbed the nearest Gatorade and forced it down his throat. Remembering that his Dad is a severe diabetic sugar was my first reaction. Luckily it did the trick and he was conscious again. The store's pharmacist came and sat with us asking questions till the EMT's got there. Everyone was convinced that Eric was a diabetic since his dad is but once his blood sugar was checked, he was back to normal. I had been super good at holding my emotions in while we were in the store but as soon as we made it out to the car... I was a complete wreck! Then we made it home, and I lost it again! I hardly ever cry but if there's one way to freak me out, this was definitely it!!! I guess the moral of the story is to never work out too hard on an empty stomach! Not a good idea but we are both good and healthy :) In fact, we've even been to the gym since and both stood standing afterward! yay

No comments:

Post a Comment